Friday, November 19, 2010

Dufferin Tunnel Opening Ceremony

Yesterday I went down to Dufferin and Queen where the city has been building a tunnel under the railway tracks, with the intention of eliminating that pesky jog around Gladstone Street. 

Amazingly, this project has been on the wish lists of Parkdale residents for over a hundred years, ever since the railroad built the bridges, which fragmented Dufferin into two sections. The tunnel's completion was made possible through the hard work and dedication of Mayor David Miller, TTC Chair Adam Giambrone and especially Joe Pantalone, who has been fighting for 30 years to make it happen.

I must confess, I am an infrastructure nerd, so I was very excited about the tunnel. Getting from the highway to my apartment by car is going to be so much easier now. I went and filmed the opening and edited a very sort highlight video. I haven't had an opportunity to drive through it, but hopefully it will happen over the weekend. Enjoy.